Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Virus: Part 1

 1. The Offer


NEW MESSIAHS ARRIVE TODAY’. ’Can you believe today’s headlines?’ Police chief Estella Gonzac quipped. While pacing the length of her office, she tossed the newspaper on the table.

Prithvi didn’t immediately respond. Instead, he leaned back on his chair and replied, ‘I absolutely can.’

‘I didn’t call you to join the bandwagon,’ she said staring into his eyes. She was pissed. Well, to be honest, she was always pissed.

He chuckled. ‘C’mon Estella. You know me for what, twenty years now? When did I last disappoint you?’

‘Don’t call me by my first name… at least not in my office. And no, you haven’t. And that is the reason why I cannot trust anyone else with my doubts.’

‘Alright, ‘Chief’’ Prithvi said emphasizing the honorific. ‘What do you think Lizzies are arriving for? Recon? Extermination? Enslavement?’

‘Hold your sarcasm champ. You don’t know what aliens might be thinking. What you do know is that my instincts never fail me.’

‘Well… if you suspect them of foul play then you are looking for something that doesn’t exist, Estella… I mean… chief. They gave us C-ships and micro-fusion technology just after the first contact. Your buddy, President Baelikh, though I hate that guy, did a semi-decent job of combining both the technologies. For the first time in human history, we have infinite energy in our hands. Don’t you remember how it was before? And now look at us. We have established colonies on Moon, Mars, Ganymede and Europa. Baelikh planning a Titan mission too.  All credit goes to the Lizzies. I mean we were a dying civilization and they gave it all that without--’

‘Ya ya ya,’ Estella said impatiently. ‘Gosh. I had forgotten how much I hated your expositions. Thanks for reminding me.’ Estella sniffed. ‘Whatever you said is right. But that is exactly why it doesn’t make sense to me. It is too… too… selfless… too methodical… too…’

‘Too unlike humans?’

‘Exactly.’

‘Well, they are not humans.’

‘Still… there is no free lunch in this world.’

‘Aaand… they don’t belong to this world. Just because we screw each other up all the time, doesn’t mean that Lizzies do too. Maybe they are wired differently than us.’

‘And for me THAT is an even a bigger reason why to not trust someone who is that different.’

Prithvi thought for a second. ‘Fair enough. Hence, we arrive at a deadlock in our argument. Neither of us have anything more substantial than our hunch. We can take them to Area 51 and analyze their brains, I suppose.’

Estella rolled her eyes, missing the sarcasm. ‘Of course, not. At least not until we understand them better. And that’s why I called you here today.’ She pulled her chair closer to Prithvi and leaned in till her face occupied Prithvi’s entire vision. ‘Listen carefully. You have one of the best minds when it comes to looking beyond the obvious. You make no assumptions and see things that others will not give a second glance. I still haven’t forgotten your work on the Italian Syndicate. That bust is now a case-study in the police academy. I want this big brain of yours doing work for me.’ Her voice turned into a whisper. ‘And more importantly, you are someone I can trust. Right?’

Prithvi shifted uneasily in his chair. It was always tricky working with Estella… and even trickier working for. On one hand he didn’t want to get into this hot mess Estella was planning, it’d be an easy ‘no’ and he could just walk out of the room. But on the other hand, secrecy about their physical appearance and almost altruistic generosity made it difficult for his curious mind to outrightly reject it. He needed to insure himself first, though.

‘You can trust me Estella. But I have two conditions before I hear it. One – I get to say ‘no’ after I hear your plan. Two – I work within my boundaries.’

‘You have my word.’

Prithvi sighed. ‘All right. What do you have in your mind?’

Estella walked with a heavy gait to the table and pulled out a piece of paper from a sheaf and extended it towards Prithvi.

‘The President has asked me to manage their security for the time they are here. I want you in the inner-most ring of their security detail. That way you will be close to them. Watch their every move, listen to every word they say… do your thing… and report it back to me.’

Estella paused and stared at Prithvi.

Prithvi looked between her and the security memo. ‘There is something else you want me to do. Only this can’t be it.’

Estella’s eyes widened and a smile stretched on her face. ‘How did you figure that?’

Prthivi handed back the memo. ‘Well, I just connected the dots.’

‘Humor me here then. How do you know there is more to the ask?’

‘Well it was not one single thing but a combination of multiple observations. First, you insisted on a private meeting. You must have deemed a vidcall sufficient risk to haul my ass all the way from New New York. I had my flags up at that time. Second, just now you emphasized on trust you have on me. I know you and you wouldn’t play that card in usual circumstances. It has to be more than a plain eavesdropping mission.’

‘Wait a sec. This one involved eavesdropping on an alien species. I could be genuinely asking for a trusting partner for Lizzies’ security.’

‘True. And I did initially attribute that to the situation. But recall what you exactly asked in the way you asked it. You had whispered, ‘You are someone I can trust.’ You were evoking trust at the personal level. As if I would be privy to something incriminating, and I would keep my mouth shut if things go south.’

‘I see.’

‘The third factor was pretty easy to see in retrospect. You closed the door shut and switched on a scrambler before this conversation began. That seemed a little awkward to me at first but makes sense with my hypothesis of an illegality in your request. You wouldn’t have done that if the task entailed merely being your eyes and ears.’

Estella laughed loudly. ‘Brilliant.’

Then, she walked to the corner of the room, pressed an invisible speck on the wall, after a quick iris scan, faux wall slid revealing a small rack. She picked up what looked like a weapon.

‘This,’ Estella held a surprisingly ordinary looking gun in her left hand, ‘is where I need you.’

‘What is it?’

‘It’s an energy-gun. It creates a bubble of pure energy around the body it is fired at. Once it is activated nothing can enter or leave that bubble. Not even pure energy. I need you to keep it on you whenever you are around the Lizzies. And if needed… use it. Don’t worry, it can’t kill.’

Prithvi’s eyes widened. ‘You weaponized their micro-fusion technology?’

‘Of course, we did. Did you think that the guy like Baelikh wouldn’t use micro-fusion beyond clean energy? Anyway, Pentagon is almost confident that this will work against the Lizzies.’

Prithvi took the gun in his hand. It didn’t feel much different from his service pistol except the nozzle that was closed and rounded at the end. In fact, it was lighter. Thanks to a fusion device, Prithvi noted with discomfort. I possess a mini sun in my hands.

‘Here is the real catch, Prithvi, this mission is ‘off-the-books’. Pentagon can’t risk an interstellar war in case you did something stupid. Hopefully, it will not come to that.’

Prithvi sat there trying to understand the full extent of what Estella was proposing. He envisioned all best-case and worst-case scenarios and everything in between. He was supposed to spy on friendly alien beings who are arriving in peace. He will be completely alone and completely expendable. If anyone found him with that gun, let alone while firing it, there will be no hearing. Inter-species relationship won’t be risked for one man.

He was clearly expendable in this scenario. In other circumstances, he might have accepted it, but with the family and responsibility of his daughter… he couldn’t risk their future on Estella’s hypothesis.

‘I am sorry, chief. This is getting too dangerous. It is one thing to penetrate the Italian syndicate but whole another thing to go for ‘off-the-books’ mission involving freaking aliens. My answer is a no.’

Prithvi stood up, kept the gun back on the table and turned to the door.

‘How is Alia doing? She must be five now, isn’t it?’

‘She is...’ Prithvi paused in his tracks. ‘same. Doctors are asking us to evaluate… you know… our final options.’

‘I feel sorry for her, Prithvi.’ Estella paused. ‘You know, we need someone to head security for the new Lunar base. And the moon’s low gravity might help her condition --’

‘I’ll do it.’

###

Jump to 

Part 2: The First Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment